Safe Shoveling Tips
Here are some tips to help minimize your shoveling effort and keep you healthy for your next adventure. Be extra careful when there is wet, heavy snow.
- Do a little warm-up stretch before you begin.
- Get out early and start shoveling before it gets too deep! (this gets you on the slopes faster too)
- Be sure to push the snow, don’t lift it.
- If you must lift, stand with your feet under your hips, hands close to your body and lift with your legs.
- Wet spring & fall snow is heavy, only move a 1/2 shovel full at a time.
- Be careful when twisting to throw snow and don’t throw snow over your head.
- Take a few breaks to give your body a rest. Enjoy the beautiful moisture falling, you’ll appreciate it in a few months.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water.
- Hire a neighborhood kid or local plow to help you. Or purchase a snow blower.
- If you feel pain, stop immediately and contact a medical professional.
When you’re done, put away your shovel, do a light stretch and get up to the mountains for some fresh tracks.
You’ve earned them!